to Previous Page
The mission of MTNA is to advance the value of
music study and music making in society and to support the
professionalism of music teachers.
The mission is accomplished by members who
teach with competence, act with integrity, volunteer services to MTNA
programs, provide professional support for colleagues and communities,
and comply with all laws and regulations that impact the music teaching
The mission calls for an ethical commitment to
students, to colleagues, and to society.
COMMITMENT TO STUDENTS—The teacher shall
conduct the relationship with students and families in a professional
- The teacher shall respect the personal
integrity and privacy of students unless the law requires disclosure.
- The teacher shall clearly communicate the
expectations of the studio.
- The teacher shall encourage, guide and
develop the musical potential of each student.
- The teacher shall treat each student with
dignity and respect, without discrimination of any kind.
- The teacher shall respect the student’s
right to obtain instruction from the teacher of his/her choice.
COMMITMENT TO COLLEAGUES—The teacher
shall maintain a professional attitude and shall act with integrity in
regard to colleagues in the profession.
- The teacher shall respect the reputation of
colleagues and shall refrain from making false or malicious statements
- The teacher shall refrain from disclosing
sensitive information about colleagues obtained in the course of
professional service unless disclosure serves a compelling professional
purpose or is required by law.
- The teacher shall respect the integrity of
other teachers’ studios and shall not actively recruit students from
- The teacher shall participate in the
student’s change of teachers with as much communication as possible
between parties, while being sensitive to the privacy rights of the
student and families.
COMMITMENT TO SOCIETY—The teacher shall
maintain the highest standard of professional conduct and personal
to Previous Page
- The teacher shall accurately represent
his/her professional qualifications.
- The teacher shall strive for continued
growth in professional competencies.
- The teacher is encouraged to be a resource
in the community.